Definition of Central nervous system vascular malformations
Central nervous system vascular malformations are rare abnormalities of blood vessels in your brain or spinal cord and their membranes.
- Arteriovenous malformations. A brain (intracranial) arteriovenous malformation is an abnormal tangle of blood vessels in your brain.
- Capillary telangiectasias. Capillary telangiectasias are small dilated blood vessels (capillaries).
- Cavernous malformations.. Cavernous malformations are abnormally formed blood vessels in your brain or spinal cord that have the appearance of a mulberry.
- Dural arteriovenous fistulas.. Dural arteriovenous fistulas are abnormal connections between arteries and the tough covering over the brain or spinal cord (dura) and a draining vein.
- Spinal arteriovenous malformations.. A spinal arteriovenous malformation is an abnormal tangle of blood vessels on, in or near your spinal cord.
- Venous malformations.. Venous malformations are abnormally enlarged veins in your brain or spinal cord.