Definition of Nonmelanoma skin cancer
Nonmelanoma skin cancer refers to all the types of cancer that occur in the skin that are not melanoma.
Several types of skin cancer fall within the broader category of nonmelanoma skin cancer, with the most common types being basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma.
Nonmelanoma skin cancer includes:
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Cutaneous B-cell lymphoma
- Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
- Merkel cell carcinoma
- Sebaceous gland carcinoma
- Cancer that spreads from other areas of the body to the skin, such as breast cancer and mouth cancer
Nonmelanoma skin cancer treatment depends on the type of cancer. Skin cancer treatment usually involves surgery to remove the cancer cells.