Sorry, no amount of potato will ever count as one of your five portions of fruit and veg a day.
- 1. Let’s start with the basics. How many apples do you need to reach one portion of your five a day?
- One medium apple
- Two medium apples
You need 80g of fresh fruit or veg for one portion, which is about one apple.
- 2. How many clementines are a portion?
Clementines are small, so you need two for 80g.
- 3. How much of an avocado counts as a portion?
- A whole avocado
- Just half
Avocados are pretty dense, so just half will give you 80g.
- 4. How many peaches are one portion?
- One medium peach
- Two medium peaches
One medium peach = at least 80g of peach.
- 5. How many slices of tinned peach count as one portion?
- Three slices
- Seven slices
Yes, tinned fruit counts too. Handy for the apocalypse.
- 6. How many raspberries are a portion?
- One handful
- Two handfuls
Two handfuls should give you about 80g.
- 7. How much fruit juice do you need to drink for one portion?
It has to be 100% fruit juice, and no matter how much you drink (above the 150ml) it can only count for one portion in total per day.
- 8. Ok, now dried fruit. How many apple rings count as one portion?
You need just 30g of dried fruit to count it as a portion.
- 9. How many raisins count as a portion?
- One tablespoon
- Three tablespoons
One tablespoon should be about 30g.
- 10. How many dried apricots count as one portion?
- 3 whole dried apricots
- 6 whole dried apricots
Three whole apricots should be about 30g.
- 11. How many banana chips do you need to make a portion?
- A tablespoon
- A handful
Banana chips are pretty light, so you’ll need a handful to reach the 30g needed for a portion.
- 12. Time for vegetables. How many courgettes do you need to eat to get one portion?
- A whole large courgette
- Just half a large one
80g of veg is one portion, and half a large courgette should give you that.
- 13. How much cucumber do you need to eat for one portion?
- A two-inch piece
- A six-inch piece
Two inches should give you about 80g of cucumber.
- 14. How many button mushrooms do you need to eat?
- Mushrooms don’t count
Mushrooms do count, and 14 button ones should be around 80g.
- 15. How much aubergine do you need to eat?
- A whole one
- About a third
It’ll depend on the size of the aubergine, but on average you’ll need to eat a third of one to count it as a portion of veg.
- 16. How many frozen peas are a portion?
- Three heaped tablespoons
- Six heaped tablespoons
Just three heaped tablespoons should give you 80g of peas.
- 17. How much fresh spinach is a portion?
- A handful
- A cereal bowl full
Fresh spinach and other salad leaves are pretty light, so you’ll need a bowlful.
- 18. How much tomato puree counts as a portion?
- One heaped tablespoon
- Two heaped tablespoons
Just one heaped tablespoon of tomato puree counts as a portion because its very concentrated – a handy way to top up your fruit and veg intake.
- 19. For a smoothie to count as two portions, what does it need to contain?
- At least 80g of one whole fruit AND 150ml of fruit juice.
- 150ml each of two different fruit juices.
For a single smoothie to qualify as being two portions, it must contain either one portion of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 150ml of a different variety of 100% fruit and/or vegetable juice OR one portion of whole fruit and/or vegetable and another portion of a different fruit and/or vegetable. Smoothies can only count as a maximum of two portions, even if you drink a whole carton.
- 20. And finally… does hummus count as one of your five a day?
- No :(
Providing your portion of hummus has at least three heaped tablespoons of chickpeas, it counts for one of your five a day. Beans and pulses (including chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils etc) can only count for one portion a day, no matter how much you eat.
Do You Know What Actually Counts As One Of Your Five A Day?
SHARE YOUR RESULTS
All information taken from the NHS’s five a day portion guide.
The key things to remember are:
– Fruit or vegetable juice can only count for one portion a day, no matter how much you drink. – Smoothies can count for a maximum of two, but make sure they contain enough whole fruit. – Beans and pulses do count, but only for a maximum of one portion a day. – Potatoes are generally used as the starchy item in a meal, so don’t count. Sweet potatoes do though!